After the fire in 1923 that burned downtown Canaan, Herbert Levi Webster and his 3 sons Myrl, Lynn and Harry built Webster and Sons Hardware and Supply.
In 1976 John Dow purchased the store from his grandfather Myrl Webster. John changed the name of the store to "Canaan Hardware & Supply" he added to the electrical, plumbing and paint departments and remodeled the sales floor. These changes helped Canaan Hardware to keep serving the community for the next 30yrs.
In 2005 John decided he needed a bigger and more central location for the store so he purchased the former site of Webster motors from his cousin Gifford Webster. With the assistance of over 100 volunteers he moved the merchandise from the old store into the newly built store.